The Reality of Today’s Happiness
“Hey, congrats on waking up today!”
That’s what I’ve been seeing some mornings on my social feed…
One morning this week I woke up late.
Because I am trying to “be gentle with myself. ” (I am sure because of the influence by the same people who congratulated me on waking up that morning).
Sound’s a bit “down” there, doesn’t it? No wonder I began feeling anxious and depressed. This is not lining up with the goals and purpose I have for myself…
Nor is it my usual example of happiness.
Everyone deals with scary circumstances in different ways.
I’ve been trying various things to some sort of sanity and normalcy.
But some days I fail.
We all have different kinds of reactions to what’s happening (or, not happening).
3 Ways to Happiness Through Challenges
If your life is frustrating and messy right now, it may take some extra effort to find the gratitude’s hidden in each day.
I’ve been where you are. At the point where your life is chaotic, both from an external and internal perspective. You’re overrun with negative emotions, busy overthinking as you try to juggle your hectic schedule and all the other stresses of life.
We all know how draining it can be – life is overwhelming! Sometimes it seems hopeless to even helpless. It seems as though inner peace is an impossibility.
Dispel those fears right now because I want to provide you with the practices necessary to turn inner peace into a habit.
This is one you’ll look forward to because with it comes happiness.
When you focus on negative thoughts or spend all day stressed out, it affects your mindset and your choices. When you focus on cultivating happiness and finding joy you will enjoy robust emotional and mental health.
Why is Being Happy Important?
Happiness is an indicator that things are going well for you and that your emotional health is stable. Your emotions not only affect how you feel and your behaviors, but they also influence your physical health. So, if you are unhappy and your emotional health is low, then your physical health will suffer, too.
Your emotions can influence your blood pressure, your blood sugar level, your heart rate, and much more. But when you allow your emotions to control your choices, you can end up making unhealthy choices. It can influence what you eat or drink as well as other lifestyle decisions that influence your health. Allowing negative feelings to dominate your emotional health can lead to a lack of self-care and well-being.
How to Cultivate Happiness and Joy in Your Life
If you want to be happy and to find joy in your life, these are some simple habits and routines you can adopt that will help you. Let’s get you started.
1) Stay Hopeful
- Work on building your self-esteem. The more confident you are in yourself, the more likely you are to be happy and make positive choices for your health and well-being.
- Find a purpose in your life and work hard to align your life with that mission. This purpose is vital for feeling needed and useful, which increases your happiness.
- Be flexible and adaptable to change. When you resist change, you will find yourself frustrated and unhappy and still having to deal with your new reality. Choosing to go with the flow helps you accept change and move forward.
- Live in the present. Thinking too much about past mistakes or worrying about the future will only lower your sense of well-being. Learn to appreciate what is currently going well in your life.
2) Stay Calm
- Learn to cope with stress. Finding ways to reduce or cut stress is excellent because stressful things will happen. Be sure you have strategies for dealing with stress in your life.
- Maintain relationships. Having a support system and people you care about will help increase your happiness and improve your well-being.
- Learn to recognize and process your emotions. Neglecting your feelings can lead to negative consequences for your health, so be sure you are paying attention to how you feel.
3) Do Something
- Take care of yourself. The more you invest in self-care, the better your life will become. Do not neglect your own health, wellness, or emotional needs in favor of other people or obligations. Take care of yourself to protect your happiness. Do something kind for yourself each day.
- Get regular exercise. Exercise not only improves your physical health but helps you reduce stress and allows you to feel more balanced.
- Make sure you have some downtime. Having time to take a break, relax, and BE is vital in our active lives. Schedule regular breaks, too, allow yourself time to unwind.
- Get outside. Your body needs sunlight for Vitamin D, which helps with your mood. Also, spending time outside lowers stress and improves your outlook.
“Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.” — Jim Rohn
While finding your happiness is a process that will take time and determination. The truth about peace and happiness is, there will be times where you have to fight to get back to the state of peace and serenity.
But that fight will be well worth it. Engaging in these simple, daily routines and habits can help improve your outlook and allow you to feel happier in life.
I am Shirley Noah, an internationally known stress expert and entrepreneur. I would love to connect further with you to improve your health and wellbeing. If you are interested in learning more about how to achieve a “stress-free” life, click here for FREE “How to Overcome Your Stress Checklist“