What is Indoor Cycling?
Over 20 years ago Johnny G, a South African cyclist and former pro cyclist, introduced Spinning to the world. This transformed the stationary bike into a group fitness program called indoor cycling. According to the American Council on Exercise if you are looking for a cardiovascular workout that offers a large expenditure of energy with minimal impact on your hips, knees and ankles, indoor cycling is an excellent option in both areas.
1. Low Impact. People recovering from orthopedic injuries often participate in indoor cycling as part of the rehabilitation protocol. If done correctly, there is minimal impact on the hip, knee, and ankle joints. It avoids the pounding associated with other activities such as running.
2. Muscular Endurance. when pedaling against resistance in indoor cycling you increase the endurance of the muscles in the legs to include the quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteus, and calf muscles. Working these muscles also helps to strengthen surrounding bones, tendons, and ligaments increasing overall strength.
3. Stress Levels. An indoor cycling class can provide the same rush of adrenaline and release of happy mood-inducing endorphins. This creates feelings of euphoria which lower stress levels and enhance the immune system.
4. Cardiovascular. An indoor cycling class can keep your heart rate will within a vigorous range for 45-60 minutes meeting the recommended range of 30-60 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise (five days per week).
5. Strength. All the pedaling will boost your muscle strength and endurance.
Is It Good for Me If I Have a Health Condition?
A good aerobic workout like indoor cycling may be just perfect for you if you have diabetes. Cycling helps your muscles use glucose more efficiently, so your blood sugar level is likely to go down.
If you are at risk for heart disease, a solid aerobic workout like indoor cycling can help bring down your blood pressure as well as your “bad” (LDL) cholesterol while helping raise your “good” (HDL) cholesterol.
If you have arthritis and think you should pass on exercise, think again. Cycling could be the key to lifting your energy level and your mood, as well as helping to protect your joints.
Is Indoor Cycling For You?
If you want to go it alone or join a cycling class cycling is one of the best cardiovascular activities today. What are you waiting for? Start today and pedal your way to better health!
I am Shirley Noah, I teach the 9 Pillars for Health. A step-by-step approach to good health. Let’s connect to see how I may best serve you in the near future.